On Sunday afternoon, June 1, we placed Québec City in the rearview mirror — does the bridge of the MS Maasdam even have a rearview mirror? — as we headed out to sea. We soon abandoned the Saint Lawrence River for the Gulf of Saint Lawrence and the Atlantic Ocean.
Monday was a day at sea. The following day, June 2, MS Maasdam cast ashore her first line at 8:08 A.M. We had arrived at Charlottetown on Prince Edward Island (PEI). Total sailing distance from Québec City was 582 nautical miles (about 670 statute miles/1075 kilometers).
This picturesque bit of Canadian history is located amidst the Maritime Provinces, and the capital city of Charlottetown exudes charm like Midland, Texas, exudes oil. Charlottetown is also a very easy area to walk, so forgo the tour and hit the sidewalks . . . unless you’re wanting to go visit the house the inspired Lucy Maud Montgomery’s classic children’s tale Anne of Green Gables. That requires transportation.
Speaking of Anne of Green Gables, upon our return Ursula and I rented a hugely entertaining version of this often filmed story. That would be the 1985 version produced for Canadian Television and Megan Follows in the title role (see the link below). I can highly recommend this beautifully filmed version.
Here you see some views of St. Dunstan’s Basilica.
And while we’re on the subject of St. Dunstan’s Basilica, here is Charlottetown’s first bishop — Bishop Angus Bernard MacEachern:
On Wednesday we’ll delve deeper into St. Dunstan’s before heading back onto the streets of Charlottetown. Until then, click on any image below to bring up today’s slide show:
For more information:
- Prince Edward Island: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Edward_Island
- Maritime Provinces: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maritime_provinces
- Charlottetown: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlottetown
- Anne of Green Gables: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anne_of_Green_Gables
- Lucy Maud Montgomery: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucy_Maud_Montgomery
- Anne of Green Gables (Television Film, 1985): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anne_of_Green_Gables_%281985_film%29
- Dunstan’s Basilica: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Dunstan%27s_Basilica
- Bishop Angus Bernard MacEachern: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angus_Bernard_MacEachern
- Saint Lawrence River: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Lawrence_River
- Gulf of Saint Lawrence: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulf_of_Saint_Lawrence
- Holland American: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holland_America
- MS Maasdam: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS_Maasdam